Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Has internet changed your life

In the last decade, the Internet has changed my life. It has enhanced my potential and increased my daily efficiencies. More recently, the mobile interface of the Internet.

Most of us are going through this change, consciously or unconsciously. Some check points, from my 'a day in my life’...

When I am scheduled to meet a new person at a certain venue, I simply Google the person and the venue for more information. Most often, I’d have got directions to the venue this way.

Surf the Web to boost brain power

I’m connected to e-mails through GPRS, and even when I’m travelling by train, I’m in touch with friends through instant messenger.

Not just between cross continent offices, even between my daughter, her school teacher and myself working on her school project, I’m connected.

Drunk-proofing e-mail

Initially, I was insecure about giving out my personal details on the Net. Today, I earnestly do even monetary transactions. I’ve rarely stood in a queue to pay a utility bill. The last time I visited my bank was two years ago. I simply use a mobile application that my bank has provided. I even plan holidays, choose a tourist spot and even buy tickets for a movie.

More India business stories | Get the latest Sensex update

I’ve rarely met my closest neighbour but I chat with him daily online.

Thanks to the web, I’m learning cookery, meditation and running a marathon, without disturbing my normal schedule.

LinkedIn is my personal roledex. And Facebook is my just-round-the-corner-coffee-shop.

Sharing knowledge or a family album involves sharing a URL. Telling a story to my kids is done through a video download. News of my friend’s promotion or his fatherhood is an update from the social community, not from him.

No comments: